Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm a Swimmaholic, Too: 110,200 Meters of Swimming in May

If you follow me on twitter, or checked out the “pages” bar on the right sidebar, you might be aware of this challenge I took on.

Not a Daring Bakers’ Challenge. Or directly chocolate related, really. What then? The 50k-In-May swimming challenge, where participants work towards swimming 50,000 meters in the month of May. I found out about it through Amy. Talked others into joining me. And went for it. You can see how much distance I got in early on by checking out my page for the challenge.

Where you will notice that I took on the 100k-In-May challenge. Because it was evident after about two weeks that 50k simply wouldn’t be a challenge. Not after Emily met me for several key 6 am swims.

Then I had to start begging for help – and this is where chocolate gets involved. Amy met up with me for a couple of workouts. I bribed her with macarons.

Beth also met up with me, notably, for a 5k workout and a 6k workout – the latter of which, completed on May 29, got me to 100,200 meters for the month. I shared some of those nice lime-sea salt chocolate chunk cookies to express my gratitude.

Whew. This surprised me, because I kept looking at the calendar and figuring that I was going to have to swim a 10,000 meter workout on Memorial Day to get this to happen. And as I finished that 6k with Beth, I was a bit sad that I wouldn’t be doing it.

At this point, a normal person would think of their rotator cuff muscles and quickly escape that sadness. But I’m not a normal person. I dip buttercream frosting in chocolate. And the day after finishing up a 100,000 meter swimming challenge, I…go swimming.

For 10,000 meters. Really.

Help. Send chocolate. It’s good for post-exercise recovery.

I’d swim again today, but the DC pools are closed for a furlough day. Tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment