Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Goumas: Filled Chocolates

Once I pried myself away from the ultra-addictive chocolate covered potato chips in the box of samples that Goumas sent me, I moved along to some filled chocolates. In order to keep my intense need (yes, need) for salty chocolate fulfilled, I began with the peanut butter bon bon.

The dark chocolate exterior is a little sweet and a little bitter, and very smooth.

However, nearly all the flavor comes from the interior, which features a strong peanut flavor along with that saltiness I was looking for. It is creamy, and barely sweet at all; it instead resembles a pure peanut butter more than a peanut-inspired confection. The texture is dense and perfectly matched to the shell, which allowed me to enjoy this treat without making a mess.

If you happen upon Goumas’ treats, buy this. You won’t be sorry.

Other filled chocolates? This chocolate-covered fudge contraption, which greeted me with a creamy aroma.

The couverture has a mild caramel flavor, and is soft enough to match the dense fudge interior with each bite.

The interior is sweet and has a strong vanilla flavor, alongside a hint of salt. It reminds me of fudge that one might find at the East Coast beaches, but trends a bit sweet and could benefit from a bit more salt. I enjoy the concept of a fudge- filled chocolate, but found this piece to be just a bit too sweet.

One last filled chocolate sat in the box: a maple chocolate.

The couverture has some earthy notes, along with a faint hint of coffee and nuttiness.

It isn’t very sweet, and goes nicely with the maple filling that features bits of chopped nuts and toffee, along with a distinct salt to cut through the sweet maple flavor. The texture variety, along with the blend of sweet and salty, results in a very enjoyable treat that I was surprised by, as most maple candies are over-the-top sweet.

Have you ever had a chocolate with maple-based filling?

No comments:

Post a Comment