Friday, February 11, 2011

Vosges Bars: Mo's Bacon Milk Chocolate

Still undecided on what to get a chocolate connoisseur for Valentine’s Day? Honestly, there are so many options, but you’d best get cracking if you want to get chocolate from a maker like Vosges that might require shipping.

Really. Do it. Today. Time waits for no man or woman.

If you do decide to go with Vosges for your Valentine, you might be drawn to one of their signature product lines: chocolate and bacon. They have bars, as well as a pancake mix, that feature this now-famous combination.

It’s famous. But is it good? I know I had to find out for myself, so I tested out the Mo’s Milk Chocolate Bacon Bar, which features applewood smoked bacon and alderwood smoked salt in a bar of 45% cocoa deep milk chocolate.

Given the fact that I enjoy chocolate and salt together, I was intrigued and had high expectations. Especially after I was drawn back to days of childhood camping trips with the aroma, which reminded me of the smell of bacon over a campfire in the morning.

Sadly, the bacon itself just doesn’t work very well with the milk chocolate. The bits of bacon are a bit sticky and aren’t well-dried enough to blend well with the chocolate. As with the plums in the Calindia bar, they stuck to my teeth, and I found this quite distracting. I also found the salt to be a tad too smoky for my own tastes, though the salt contrasts nicely with the fairly sweet chocolate. It’s very difficult to taste many complexities in the chocolate, given the strong smoky flavor, but the texture is smooth and the melt is good, so I do believe it is high-quality chocolate.

Though I personally wouldn’t get this bar again because the bacon and smoky tastes overwhelm the chocolate entirely, a serious bacon addict might enjoy it. So if you are looking to get a Valentine’s gift for a chocolate lover who also happens to be a bacon lover, this might be just the thing.

If you can order it in time. Seriously, go buy your chocolate. Time is running out.

Have you had bacon and chocolate together? What did you think of the combination?

No comments:

Post a Comment