Monday, February 7, 2011

Hotel Chocolat Praline Selection: Brownie Praline

It’s Valentine’s season. People buy chocolate this time of year. How do you know if you’re getting the good stuff for your sweetheart?

Come here and research, of course. Check out what Teuscher, Chocolate Moderne, Vosges, and the like offer. I’ve got even more reviews coming this week, so keep on reading. For the next couple of days, I have a real treat for you: a review of the Hotel Chocolat praline assortment. I’m personally a fan of praline creations, with their nutty, sugary, chocolate centers oozing with delicious and comforting flavors, and given the quality I’d found from plain Hotel Chocolat milk chocolate, I was very eager to dive in to this assortment.

The first one I tried was the “Brownie” praline, which is surrounded by a firm milk chocolate with a nutty, creamy flavor that lingers long after a bite is complete.

I won’t lie: after I bit in, I was just a little disappointed to discover that this was not a chocolate-covered brownie.

Instead, inside, I found flecks of crumbled chocolate cookie mixed in with the praline filling. While the flecks of chocolate cookie add some crunch and additional chocolate flavor, the praline filling is just a bit too soft to stand up to the thick outer shell. Given that I thoroughly enjoyed the soft, creamy filling, I’d prefer a creation with a thinner shell that would give way to that praline filling a bit better. This creation was was about 25-30% filling, and I’d enjoy it more if it were 50% filling.

Or 100%. But whatever.

It was perfectly tasty, and the crumbled chocolate cookie is a wonderful addition. I’d simply like the structure a little different. This would not stop me from eating more of these, and in fact, I now regret not picking up the six-pack of the brownie pralines on my visit to the shop.

Next time.

Which sounds better to you: this praline or a chocolate-covered brownie?

No comments:

Post a Comment