Sunday, April 10, 2011

Babaevsky: Russian Chocolate, Now with Raisins

Though I wasn’t blown away by the Russian-made Babaevsky dark chocolate bar I’d received from one of my swimmers, the flavor was reasonable and I felt it would be fair to give another bar a try. Fortunately, my gift included yet another such bar: the Babaevsky with Raisins.

The bar has a very subtle vanilla aroma, and the wrapper doesn’t note whether the base chocolate is milk or dark. Time to dive in to find out more.

Since the chocolate is soft and sweet, with minimal flavor complexity, my guess is that the base chocolate is of the milk variety. As the flavor of the chocolate is not very complex, the taste of the bar is dominated by the raisins, which are nicely chopped such that they are large enough to be noticed, but small enough to be evenly distributed in every bite.

There’s a tiny bit of a crunch from the raisins, and they are neither hard nor soggy. They’re certainly the highlight of this bar, and I enjoyed the overall effect even though the chocolate was more background than a feature.

Do you like raisins with chocolate?

No comments:

Post a Comment