Saturday, April 9, 2011

Babaevsky: Dark Chocolate from Mother Russia

Today, after discussing some semi-illicit British chocolate, I bring you more foreign chocolate. But I’m changing gears a bit. This particular bar is 100% legal, and comes from Mother Russia. I bring you the Babaevsky Dark Chocolate bar.

Why Russian chocolate? Russia is not exactly widely regarded as a source of top-of-the-line chocolate, so how did this come into my life? As yet another gift from a swimmer who I coach, of course; in this case, a swimmer who happens to be from Russia.

It’s like these people know me. Really well. It’s awesome. But how awesome is this chocolate? When I unwrapped it, I noted a very faint fruity aroma, and decided to go ahead and find out for myself by eating some.

When tasting this bar, I first noted the slightly dry texture that compromised the melt. It was a little much to get past and enjoy the flavor, but I did note an earthy taste that is supplemented by a late-arriving fruity flavor and subtle notes of vanilla and coffee. It’s neither overly bitter nor overly sweet, but the texture is a bit much to get past. Folks, use high quality cocoa butter. It’s worth it.

Have you ever had chocolate from Russia?

No comments:

Post a Comment