Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Vosges Bars: Amalfi

When I got the Vosges Marzipan Bar at the most recent Biagio sample day, I also picked up another Vosges holiday season bar I’d been eyeing over the internet: The Amalfi bar, which features a 36% cocoa white chocolate, pink peppercorns, and lemon zest.

The bar, which greets me by telling me that I’ve never been lovelier, has a strong lemon aroma; the pink peppercorns are also evident immediately upon visual inspection.

The chocolate itself is quite smooth with a bit of grit that can probably be attributed to the lemon zest and peppercorn. Each bite features a definite lemon note, which covers up the traditional vanilla taste of white chocolate and contrasts well with the sugary white chocolate. The pepper taste, however, seems to only be evident when the flecks of pepper are in a given bite, and it seems that the pepper is there more for visual enhancement than taste. As an unapologetic white chocolate lover, I enjoyed this bar both for the soft white chocolate and the flavor contrast offered by the lemon zest, though I’d be curious about how I might have enjoyed this differently had the pepper taste been more pronounced.

Do you like bars with a white chocolate base?

No comments:

Post a Comment