Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Shakolad: Gift from Santa and Dark Mint Truffle

So Christmas was a while ago, wasn’t it? Everybody detoxed yet? Not me. You see, Santa knows me well and brought me a bit of chocolate.

This box, from Schakolad, was packed with 12 chocolates. I’ll try to make this sound more reasonable by pointing out that they were pretty small.

The first chocolate I had to try was one of the mint variety, since the mint aroma was apparent the moment I opened the box. I elected to start with the dark chocolate version of the mint truffle.

The dark chocolate, which has both earthy and coffee notes, has a strong flavor and crumbles just a bit against the interior, though it is soft enough to not create a complete mess with each bite.

The interior white-chocolate-based ganache is firm and features a blend of spearmint and peppermint flavors. The flavor is refreshing, and the ganache is quite sweet, which matches well with the bittersweet exterior. Though I don’t like the flaking, I do enjoy the contrast in flavors between the couverture and the ganache. This is a truffle I’d enjoy trying again.

Do you prefer spearmint or peppermint flavors with chocolate?

No comments:

Post a Comment