Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Almond Chocolate Paste: Like Nutella, but without the Gross Junk

One chocolate product that seems to enjoy nearly universal love is Nutella. It’s got chocolate, milk, sugar, and hazelnuts – how could one go wrong? Is there anything you can’t eat it with? I will personally admit that I used to eat it straight out of the jar. And for that reason, I no longer keep it in the kitchen. You see, I live by myself, so I can’t blame “somebody else” for eating all of it.

Unless I want to spend some time at St. Elizabeth’s explaining my special friend.

And I don’t want to do that. So I no longer purchase Nutella. Another reason? I checked out the ingredients list. Palm oil is the second ingredient??? Is there not enough fat in the cocoa butter and hazelnuts? Or do they use inferior version of both? Either way, my Nutella habit is over.

Now chocolate nut spreads, that’s another story. How would you like to learn how to make your own? It’s easy. And no palm oil involved.

Chocolate Almond Spread Ingredients

150 grams milk chocolate, melted and cooled (E. Guittard 38% cocoa milk chocolate)

75 grams (1/2 cup) almond flour

75 grams (2/3 cup) powdered sugar

Although there’s no palm oil involved, there is something else notable involved: the nifty new kitchen scale that my parents got me for Christmas.

However, if you were not so lucky to have received such a scale a few weeks ago, simply use the volume measurements given in the ingredients list.

Mix the almond flour and powdered sugar in a food processor until thoroughly combined.

Then add the melted and cooled milk chocolate in two additions, processing until fully combined. After the second addition, run the food processor for about two minutes to ensure a smooth texture.

Simple. Easy. No palm oil. Beautiful. Try it today.

Do you like Nutella? Does palm oil gross you out?

No comments:

Post a Comment