Thursday, July 7, 2011

Montezuma: Orange Ecuadorian Chocolate

After I checked out that enjoyable salted dark chocolate bar from Montezuma, I looked at other pieces that Natalie had sent me from thousands of miles away. More Montezuma bars begged for evaluation. But which one to move along to first?

I spied one that would make Hollie salivate and make Hannah cry. Divisive chocolate is somehow appealing to me. Maybe I like conflict. Maybe I just liked the orange and black wrapper on this Ecuador dark chocolate with juicy orange.

Once I removed that eye-catching wrapper, I was greeted with a citrus aroma.

Coffee is the first flavor that emerges from the chocolate, with orange quickly following and then fading away such that there is only a hint of the citrus – perhaps subtle enough that even Hannah would enjoy it. The flavor is intense and long-lasting, which is at least partially because of the slow, buttery melt that is perfectly smooth and not at all grainy.

While the bar is nice, for a bar advertised as bar enhanced with juicy orange, it is a little light on the citrus flavor, and the orange is generally subtle enough that it seems like just another flavor note in a complex chocolate.

How orange should orange chocolate be? And is it more important to make Hollie or Hannah happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment