Friday, December 9, 2011

Dolfin Dolfin Noir Aux Feuilles De Menthe: It's Just Mint Dark Chocolate

Christmas is getting closer. Close enough that I finally bought plane tickets to visit my family around Christmas. I procrastinate this as long as possible every year, in hopes that all the seats will be gone and I won't have to go…er…in hopes that the prices will drop.

This time, it’s going to cost me almost $500. For the privilege of going to Detroit.

I hate my life sometimes.

But that’s not the Christmas spirit. And to get into the Christmas spirit, I need some more mint-infused chocolate. Or, perhaps the Dolfin Noir Aux Feuilles De Menthe.

Seriously, people, don’t be so full of yourselves. It’s freaking dark chocolate with mint leaves. I can, however, forgive some pretention since these folks were smart enough to double wrap the bar to keep the pervasive mint flavor and aroma confined to this bar rather than simply confined to any bit of chocolate in my chocolate cabinet.

The mint aroma is spicy in nature, and the flavor is relatively subtly, with a savory character that turns more sweet near the end.

A few other flavors emerge – cream at the beginning and coffee at the end – but mint is definitely the dominant flavor. While it’s natural and not artificial in character, it’s quite weak, and in fact, the bar’s flavor is weak overall and the dry melt of the bar compounds this deficiency.

A subpar mint chocolate bar and a $500 trip to Detroit in two weeks. Bah Humbug.

Are you going anywhere for Christmas? Is it going to cost less than $500?

No comments:

Post a Comment